1/6 Photos of Old Fashioned English Lavender Tea Scones
French Tart's Note:
When I was back home in England recently, I visited a local lavender farm called Wold's Way Lavender in North Yorkshire; we had tea and these delicious lavender scones in their delightful little tea room; this is my attempt to recreate those scones - using some of my home-grown culinary lavender from the garden here in France! I have made them several times now and they have turned out just as I remembered them, especially good if split whilst still warm, buttered and spread with lavender honey or lavender-infused cream! Just a note of interest......lavender was often used during Tudor and Elizabethan times in the preparation of a wide variety of dishes and was a particular favourite of Queen Elizabeth I. The palace gardeners were required to have lavender flowers available at all times which were used to make Conserve of Lavender (a mixture of lavender flowers and sugar) and sweet lavender tisane, a drink made with lavender flowers, boiling water and honey.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Pre-heat the oven to 220C/450F, then lightly flour a baking tray.
- 2Sift the flour with the baking powder & salt. Rub the butter with the flour until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar.
- 3Make a deep well in the flour, pour in the liquid and mix to a soft doughy texture with your hands. Sprinkle on the lavender flowers and knead into the dough very lightly until it is just smooth. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured board & cut out scone rounds.
- 4Brush the scones with the beaten egg, and sprinkle a few lavender flowers on top if you wish.
- 5Bake in oven for 7 - 10 minutes or until well risen and brown. Leave to cool. Serve with butter, lavender honey or lavender-infused cream.
Browse Our Top Scones Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Scones Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old Fashioned English Lavender Tea Scones
Serving Size: 1 (94 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 278.6
- Calories from Fat 91
- Total Fat 10.2 g
- Saturated Fat 5.9 g
- Cholesterol 55.7 mg
- Sodium 471.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 6.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: