Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
In 'Sweet Auburn Desserts' by Sonya Jones
- 1 (9 inch) unbaked pie shells
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg, plus more for garnish
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- In a medium mixing bowl stir together the eggs, sugar, salt, and nutmeg until well blended.
- Gradually stir in the milk, half and half, and vanilla; mix well.
- Pour the custard into the unbaked pie crust.
- Sprinkle the custard with the additional nutmeg.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 350° and bake for 35 minutes more, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean; watch the pie crust edges; cover to prevent overbrowning.
- Allow the pie to cool completely, then refrigerate until ready to serve.