Recipe by Bec
You may shake done doughnuts in powdered sugar or a mixture of 1 cup sugar and 3/4 teaspoon nutmeg.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- In large bowl measure 1 1/2 cups flour and remaining ingredients with mixer at low speed just until smooth, constantly scraping edges of bowl.
- At medium speed beat 1 minute constantly scraping edges of bowl.
- Stir in remaining flour to make soft dough.
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour to make dough easier to handle.
- On well floured surface, with floured rolling pin, roll dough so it is 1/2 inch thick.
- With floured cutter, cut out doughnuts.
- Heat oil to 370 degrees, make 4-5 rings at a time.
- Lift from oil and drain on paper towels.