Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Here is a great recipe for those to use lower sugars and still taste fantastic.Its a simple basic recipe but a real hit,if you like date squares.Once the Family tries them they will be asking for them on a constant demand.Has all the taste of regular sugared squares as well
- oatmeal, mixture
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups becel margarine
- 1 1⁄4 cups splenda brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups quick rolled oats
- date filling
- 2 1⁄2 cups chopped dates
- 3⁄4 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons splenda brown sugar
- grated rind from 1/2 orange
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine flour,baking powder,baking soda,and salt.
- Rub in butter until mixture is crumbly.
- Add sugar and oats.
- Mix well.
- Spread half of crumb mixture into 9"x9" greased baking pan,patting mixture until firm and smooth.
- Cook dates,with water,orange rind ,orange juice,lemon and sugar in a saucepan till smooth and thick.
- Cool mixture.
- Add to bottom layer of oat mixture.
- Add remaining oats to top of dates.
- Spread out evenly.
- Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool and cut into squares to your liking.
- Enjoy these great Date squares.
I love dates & I enjoy bars, so I was pretty sure this would be A GREAT TREAT, which it was! I used the very moist & chewy Medjool dates for this & we really liked the addition of the citrus! Definitely a keeper of a recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in the current Pick A Chef]