Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Adapted from a recipe from Pauline's Tea Room, Troy Ohio
- 1 cup dates, chopped fine
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup pecans
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 2⁄3 cup chopped dates
- Mix together 1 cup dates, 1 cup hot water and baking soda. Let stand several minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients (white sugar, butter, egg, flour, baking powder and pecans). Mix well.
- Pour into 9x9 inch greased pan.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Mix brown sugar, 2/3 cup water and 2/3 cup dates in saucepan.
- Cook for 3 minutes over medium heat,stirring constantly.
- Pour on top of date pudding immediately, or it can be spooned on after it is cut into pieces.
- Top with whipped cream.