Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Wrap in festive packaging to give as hostess gifts!
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, softened
- 2 1⁄3 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 cups pitted dates, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs one at a time.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Mix together flour, baking powder, and baking soda; and gradually add to the creamed mixture.
- Fold in the dates and nuts.
- Spread the batter evenly in a greased 13x9 baking pan and bake at 375°F for 25 minutes or until golden.
- Cool in pan.
- Cut into approximately 24 bars.
I'm surprised no one else has made these delicious bars before! I made them yesterday and what an absolute hit they were with everyone! I followed the recipe exactly as given...the only deviation that I did do was to substitute pecans with walnuts (because I did not have pecans). The date bars were amazing! I will definitely be making them again and again. In Hindi, 'bar-bar', means 'again and again'. Well this is what my family calls your date bars....'date bar-bar'! Needless to say, I will be making them bar-bar!! A definite keeper and deserves a big 5 star rating by any standards. Thank you for sharing your recipe.
This is bliss! How can you go wrong with a boatload of butter and brown sugar?!? As a nod toward "health" (excuse me a moment: hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah) I used half whole wheat flour. These would be delectable with any additive, not just dates and pecans. Oooooo...now I wish I would have stirred in grated orange rind, too! Enjoy any and all who dare! Thanks Sue!!!
Good, but would be better with some oatmeal in them, the way old fashioned date bars are.