1/4 Photos of Old-Fashioned Cut out Frosted Butter Cookies
I made these cookies with my mom when I was young. My daughter and I now make these every year for Christmas keeping the tradition going. This recipe comes out of a darling cookbook dated 1947 called Best Loved Foods of Christmas. The pictures and graphics are so adorable. Baking the cookies isn't always the fun part but the decorating is a blast! My daughter asks me every year about SUMMER time Mom, can we make Cutout cookies again this year LOL! I always say YES most certainly! The time it takes to make these is worth the time. If you share these with others you will get so many compliments! When I make these I break it up into a 2 day job. First day we bake the cookies and next day we decorate. These cookies also store well. I store them in a big air tight plastic container. Anyways have a blast making these. Your children or Grandchildren will grow up having fond memories of you and them baking these as I do with my Mother!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 2In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar. Mix in the egg, milk and vanilla.
- 3Now blend in the dry ingredients flour, baking powder and salt until dough is formed. If desired you can chill for an hour for easier handling. I've never done this and the dough always rolled out fine for me.
- 4Divide the dough in thirds. On a lightly floured board roll out the dough to about 1/8th inch thickness. Using cookie cutters cut into shapes and place on a cookie sheet.
- 5Bake in oven for about 5 to 8 minutes until lightly golden brown. Cool on a rack.
- 6SPECIAL NOTE: You can use vanilla extract but I think vanilla paste makes these cookies taste even more special using vanilla paste.
- 7I use vintage Christmas cookie cutters where i found on Ebay. I bought vintage cooper cookie cutters instead of the aluminum ones due to safety concerns regarding the use of aluminum. But you can use modern cookie cutters and you can make these anytime not just for Christmas.
- 8Please see my recipe for Creamy Vanilla Frosting where I will be giving some decorating suggestions. =).
Browse Our Top Rolled Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolled Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old-Fashioned Cut out Frosted Butter Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (840 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 46.6
- Calories from Fat 22
- Total Fat 2.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 8.8 mg
- Sodium 40.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 0.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: