1/1 Photo of Old-Fashioned Crumb Cake
1 hr 15 mins
Pepina Rae's Note:
What a wonderful old classic! It's buttery, moist, and simply LUCIOUS!! Your friends and family will be coming back for more. TIP: Do not insert a toothpick to test for doneness until center is firm when pan is shaken.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened (1 1/4 sticks)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup walnuts, finely chopped (or pecans)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1Adjust oven rack to center position and heat oven to 350°.
- 2Generously grease bottom and lightly grease sides of 10-inch springform pan and dust with flour.
- 3With electric mixer, mix flour, sugar, and salt in large mixing bowl until blended.
- 4Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- 5Remove 1 cup of crumbs to separate bowl.
- 6Mix baking powder and soda into mixture remaining in large mixing bowl.
- 7Add buttermilk, egg, and vanilla; mix well until batter is thick, smooth, fluffy, and frostinglike, 1 1/2- 2 minutes.
- 8Using a rubber spatula, scrape batter into prepared pan and smooth top.
- 9Add nuts, brown sugar, cinnamon and allspice to reserved crumbs; toss with a fork or your hands until blended.
- 10Sprinkle crumbs over batter, pressing lightly so that mixture adheres.
- 11Bake cake until center is firm and cake tester comes out clean, 50- 55 minutes. TIP: Do not insert a toothpick to test for doneness until center is firm when pan is shaken.
- 12Transfer cake to rack; remove pan sides.
- 13Let cake cool completely, about 2 hours, before serving.
- 14When completely cooled, cake can be slid off pan bottom onto serving plate.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old-Fashioned Crumb Cake
Serving Size: 1 (107 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 496.3
- Calories from Fat 204
- Total Fat 22.7 g
- Saturated Fat 10.1 g
- Cholesterol 65.5 mg
- Sodium 456.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 43.0 g
- Protein 6.6 g