Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 375F and grease an 8" baking pan; line pan with parchment paper and lightly oil.
- Mix shortening, sugar, and 2 cups of flours until it is crumbly and fine.
- Reserve 3/4 of this mixture and set off to side.
- Sift the rest of the flour and add to it the baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- Combine the crumb mixture.
- Add the egg and milk, mixing well.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Take the reserved crumbs and sprinkle it on top of the cake.
- Bake in oven for 35 - 40 minutes.
Very good! We really liked this crumb cake. The recipe is very easy and no-fuss. There is lots of crumb topping, very crumbly, but we loved it! Made for Bargain Basement Tag.