Prep 8 hrs
Cook 0 mins
This has a cooked dressing that is combined with mayonnaise to create the most wonderful creamy dressing! I like to add in some cooked cubed deli ham and frozen thawed peas but that is optional. This dressing will seem sweet after it is cooked but will mellow out after chilling time, this salad must be chilled for a minimum of 8 hours or up to 24 hours before serving, all amounts may be adjusted to taste. Prep time includes chilling time.
- 8 -10 medium red potatoes (cooked until fork tender and cooled slightly then chopped)
- 6 hard-cooked eggs (peeled and chopped)
- 5 green onions, chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (or use 1/2 teaspoon white salt)
- 1⁄3 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 -4 teaspoons prepared yellow mustard
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder (if you are a garlic-lover then use 1 teaspoon)
- 1 1⁄2 cups mayonnaise (can use up to 2 cups)
- For the dressing; in a saucepan combine 2 eggs with sugar, cornstarch and seasoned salt or white salt.
- Add in cider vinegar, milk and mustard (start with 2 teaspoons mustard you may add in more later) whisk until smooth.
- Set heat to medium and bring to a simmer; cook whisking frequently for about 10 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Add in butter and stir until melted.
- Refrigerate until semi-cooled, then stir/whisk in the mayonnaise until completely combined.
- Add in garlic powder and black pepper (you may adjust the garlic, mustard and black pepper to taste) if desired.
- Place the cubed potatoes in a large bowl, then add in chopped eggs, green onions, yellow onion and celery; mix to combine.
- Pour the dressing over and toss with a large spatula to combine.
- Cover and refrigerate for a minimum of 8 hours or up to 24 hours.