Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
In ‘Paula Deen’s Southern Cooking Bible’
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- black pepper
- 1 -2 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, for garnish (or chopped scallion)
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Whisk in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, until bubbling, about 1 minute.
- Whisk in the broth, half-and-half, and sherry.
- Bring to a boil, whisking frequently.
- Decrease to a simmer and cook, stirring, until nice and thick, 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken, the thyme, and salt and pepper to taste, and warm through.
- Serve garnished with parsley or scallions.
- Serve over egg noodles, toast, or waffles.