Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 55 mins
A traditional recipe from the "Creative Cooking Course" Cookbook.
Make and share this Old-Fashioned Cream Puffs With Chantilly Cream Filling recipe from Food.com.
- Combine water and butter in a heavy saucepan and place over medium heat. Cook until butter is melted and water comes to a boil.
- Add all the flour and salt.
- Stir vigorously with a wooden spoon until mixture is smooth and leaves side of pan, forming a ball.
- Turn off heat and add first egg. Beat until well mixed. (You can use an electric mixer to beat in eggs.
- Continue adding eggs, one at a time, beating well after the addition of each egg.
- Add the egg white last.
- Beat until smooth.
- Cover lightly and let stand until cool.
- Spoon pastry into icing bag with a 1-inch plain piping tube attached and pipe into large puffs on a lightly-greased baking sheet. Do not place too close together.
- Bake in a preheated 450 degree oven for 8 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake for 45 minutes longer or until dry.
- Do not under cook or they will "fall" and be unrecoverable.
- As soon as the puffs have been removed from the oven, make a slit in the side of each.
- Let cool thoroughly on wire racks.
- Filling: Whip the cream with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Add confectioners' sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating gently. Add the brandy, a small amount at a time. Fold in the egg white gently, but thoroughly.
- Make a small hole in the side of each puff with the tip of a small knife.
- Pipe whipped cream into each puff.
- Dust generously with confectioners' sugar.