Recipe by mollypaul
A creamy, delicious pie from the Mississippi Valley chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. Chilling time not included in preparation time.
- 1 pie crust (either storebought or your own recipe)
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg whites, slightly beaten
- whipped cream, lightly sweetened (for garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Line pie pan with pastry; bake until golden and cool.
- Heat cream in a double boiler.
- Mix sugar, flour and salt.
- Pour hot cream over the mixture, stirring well.
- Return to double boiler and cook until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat, add egg whites, pour into baked shell and bake for 15 minutes.
- Chill and serve topped with whipped cream.