Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is the way they made cream of tomato soup before Campbells came along....not that I don't love Campbells.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon onion, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add flour and salt, blending well.
- Slowly add milk, stirring constantly.
- Cook until mixture boils and thickens.
- Set aside Press tomatoes through a sieve or blend until smooth.
- In a soup pot, combine remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Pour white sauce into soup, stirring constantly.
- Heat thoroughly before serving.
Nice and creamy, I used 2 tins of tomatoes and sauteed the onion in the butter before adding the flour. Thanks for posting.
really simple to make and good on a day where everyone in my house is sick and i was way too lazy to go to the store. i left out the cloves because i really just don't like them so much and i added garlic powder. i doubled the recipe for left overs and added a little more tomatoes also. :o)
In ease, its right up there. In taste - yuck! If I was to make it again, I would only use a very small pinch of cloves if any.