Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is the real cream of broccoli soup not broccoli and cheese soup. I got the recipe from a cookbook my grandmother had where there is no actual amount on the broccoli. If you are looking for the basic old fashion cream of broccoli soup this is the one! This recipe can also be easily increased or frozen.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 5 cups chopped broccoli
- 3 tablespoons flour
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth (or stock)
- 2 cups light cream
- 3 tablespoons red wine
- Melt butter in large sauce pan. Sauté vegetables in butter until tender. Sprinkle with flour, salt and pepper; stir in well.
- Add chicken broth and cream. Cook until thick and comes to a slow boil; stirring frequently.
- Add wine and correct salt and pepper to taste.
Fantastic soup. I omitted mushrooms, used purple onion, butter, garlic, Monterey Jack cheese, medium cheddar cheese and Parmesan cheese on top. Fantastic and fast
Gave it a try, not bad, not bad at all. Something to have on a cold day to warm up your tummy.