Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
I got this recipe from a friend who lived in Middlesboro, KY. She gave it to me about 15 years ago and said it had been handed down to her from her Great Grandmother.
- Combine sugar and evaporated milk in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. (stir constantly to prevent scorching).
- Remove from heat; add peanut butter and vanilla. Mix well.
- Add crushed crackers and toss lightly to blend. Allow mixture to stand for 15 minutes.
- Drop mixture by small teaspoon onto waxed paper.
- Allow candies to firm before serving.
I've been looking for this recipe for so long and am so glad to have found it. My mom used to make these during the holidays and they were always one of my favorites. They do tend to crumble a bit, but are still delicious!
I was born and raised in Kentucky and I remember my grandmother making this every year for Christmas.I came across this recipe and had to try it. My only suggestion is to not crush the crackers too finely (think soup crushed) because you lose the crisp cracker taste. I made two batches because I crushed them too finely in the first one. The second batch with the larger crackers had a better taste and texture. Thanks for posting this.