Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
A really simple, nice cornbread recipe.
Make and share this Old Fashioned Cornbread recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add the cornmeal and stir until well mixed.
- In a second bowl, combine the milk, eggs, and honey or maple syrup.
- Melt the butter and add it to our second bowl, mixing well.
- Combine the dry and liquid ingredients and mix well.
- Pour the batter into an oiled 8in square baking pan and bake for about 20 minutes or until done in the centre and lightly browned.
- To test for doneness, insert a toothpick into the centre; If it comes out dry, the corn bread is done.
Had to substitute water for milk, turned out great! Had with split pea soup. Most of it's gone after just one sitting!
My family koves it!! Great with melted butter on top. MMMM!!!!!
Followed the recipe exactly, baked in cast iron and it turned out perfectly. Tasted exactly like my grandmother's!