Prep 5 mins
Cook 4 mins
Cook four minutes and it is a great frosting. Cook five minutes and it is Fudge. Great old fashioned cooked Fudge frosting. The kind your Grandmother probably made.
- 2 cups butter, this is a lb, 4 sticks
- 3⁄4 cup white Karo
- 13 ounces Carnation Evaporated Milk, undiluted
- 5 tablespoons hershey's cocoa
- 6 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla flavoring
- Melt margarine in large boiler on medium heat.
- Add Karo syrup, Carnation milk and Hershey's cocoa. Mix well and add sugar.
- With unit on High heat, bring to a full rolling boil (one you can not stir down). Reduce heat to medium-high and boil for 4 minutes by the clock.
- Remove from heat and beat with mixer on high until thick and creamy. Add vanilla.
- Spread between layers of cake and on top layer and sides. This will frost 10 layers.
- This recipe makes delicious fudge by cooking 5 minutes by the clock. Beat until thick and creamy. Add 2 cups chopped nuts. Pour into buttered pan and cut into squares when cool.
Very good. I halved the recipe and had plenty left over. Used a small cookie scoop to uniformly frost cupcakes. The warm frosting spread itself beautifully. My friends thought they were from a bakery. The fudgey frosting on butter recipe cupcakes is a winner,
Made this as a candy, & was happy to share it at several park-wide gatherings we attended over the past couple of days! A big hit, it was! I particularly enjoyed it & now definitely want to use it to frost a decadent chocolate cake sometime soon! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed in Zaar Cookbook Tag]