Recipe by Polly W
This reminds me of how my Grandmother made her coleslaw. It is refreshing and last a long time in the fridge as there is no mayo in this. It will last up to two weeks when you drain the liquid from it.
- 1 medium head cabbage, shredded
- 1 small purple cabbage, shredded
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 1 cup carrot, grated
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix cabbage, carrots,onion and celery in large bowl.
- Sprinkle with sugar and mix well.
- In small sauce pan, add vinegar, oil, salt, pepper and dry mustard.
- Bring to boil and pour hot dressing over cabbage mixture and mix well.
- Pour into large bowl with lid and refrigerate.
- This is best made at least one day ahead.
- Drain juice if not used within 24 hours before serving.