Prep 4 hrs
Cook 0 mins
Just in case you were wondering, Cole Slaw came to America with the Dutch who called it Kool Sla. This was a shortened version of the literal translation of cabbage salad. Originally, thinly sliced cabbage (green and/or red) was dressed with oil vinegar and spices and probably served warm or hot. Mayonnaise was invented in the 18th century and added to the dressing. In the early 1900s cole slaw or cold slaw was prepared with buttermilk as is this version. From "Family Circle" magazine.
- 2 (12 ounce) packagesshredded broccoli, slaw
- 4 cups red cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup carrot, shredded
- 1 cup light mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Combine broccoli, cabbage, and carrots in a large bowl.
- Whisk together mayonnaise, sour cream, buttermilk and mustard; season with salt and pepper.
- Fold mixture into the vegetables, then stir to combine thoroughly.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours up to overnight.