Recipe by Heidi Swanson
This is my favorite cream pie, great homemade taste. This comes from a Taste of Home book.
- 59.14 ml all-purpose flour
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 0.25 ml salt
- 473.18 ml milk
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 7.39 ml vanilla
- 295.73 ml flaked coconut, divided
- 1 9-inch baked pie crust
- 3 egg whites
- 88.74 ml sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, combine flour and sugar; add salt, milk and egg yolks.
- Mix well, cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture is thickened and bubbly.
- Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes more.
- Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla and 1 cup coconut.
- Pour hot filling into pie shell.
- For meringue, beat egg whites in a mixing bowl until soft peaks form.
- Gradually beat in sugar until mixture forms stiff glossy peaks and sugar dissolves.
- Spread meringue over hot filling.
- Sprinkle remaining coconut.
- Bake 350 for 12-15 minutes or until golden.
- Cool, store in the refrigerator.