pink cook's Note:
I made this other recipe for one pie (instead of two), adapted from All Recipes and it is another good one with variations, too.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup white sugar (I use Splenda Blend)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (or use cornstarch)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup miniature marshmallow
- 1 cup flaked coconut, toasted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (9 inch) pie crusts, baked
- 1In a non-stick saucepan, mix well together half-and-half, eggs, sugar, flour, and salt.
- 2Boil slowly over low heat, stirring at regular intervals and remove from heat. Fold in 3/4 cup of coconut flakes and add vanilla extract. Blend well. Set aside to cool.
- 3Spread coconut mixture all over the bottom of pie shell. Chill for 2 to 4 hours; or until mixture is firm.
- 4To make the whip cream topping, whip chilled whipping cream and for best results, the bowl and beaters should be chilled in the freezer. (This allows the cream to reach it's full volume and develop those meringue like peaks).
- 5Slowly add powdered sugar and then vanilla extract, until cream hold stiff and spread half the meringue over each pie to edge of crust.
- 6Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of coconut flakes. Cut into 8 equal slices and serve with coffee or hot chocolate.
- 7VARIATIONS -. Here are other ideas: you can also change the topping with meringue made with egg whites and marshmallow cream instead of the whipping cream topping.
- 8And for the filling, you can also add 3 oz. cream cheese instead of the marshmallows, if you like. Just before you remove the mixture from the stove, stir in the softened cream cheese, mix well, and enjoy it with a good cup of fresh coffee.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old Fashioned Coconut Cream Pie - 2
Serving Size: 1 (184 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 460.3
- Calories from Fat 221
- Total Fat 24.5 g
- Saturated Fat 13.3 g
- Cholesterol 85.7 mg
- Sodium 297.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 30.1 g
- Protein 7.2 g