Recipe by AB_Fan
From Aebleskiver and More - A Sampling of Danish Recipes by Lisa Steen Riggs. Time for dough to rise is not included in Prep Time.
- 2 tablespoons dry yeast
- 2 cups lukewarm water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄3 cup maple syrup
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 4 1⁄2-5 cups whole wheat flour (can use half unbleached white flour)
- milk, for brushing top
- poppy seed, for sprinkling on top
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve the yeast in the warm milk.
- Mix in remaining ingredients (except milk for brushing the top and poppy seeds). Add enough flour to make a stiff dough.
- Knead on lightly floured surface and let rise in a warm place for about 15 minutes.
- Divide dough into two parts and shape into 20-inch lengths.
- Twist the long rolls together and let rise about 20 minutes.
- Brush the tops with milk and sprinkle with poppy seeds.
- Bake on a greased baking sheet at 375 degrees for about 45 minutes.