Recipe by Wildflour
This pie reminds me of my Great Aunt Lola's when I was little. It still isn't as good as hers, but it's as close as I can come.
Top Review by Melissa654
This is an amazing apple pie!! I've been looking for 1 to pass the test of my husband's aunt's red hot pie he remembers as a child! The search is over!! He said this 1 is good if not better. Used a refrigerated walmart brand roll-out pie crust & followed the rest of the recipe exactly! Turned out just perfect! Thanx 4 the post!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup lard, Oscar Mayer sells it
- 4 -5 tablespoons ice water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 dash salt
- 6 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples, Granny Smith
- 1 -2 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons red-hot candies
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut lard into flour and salt, mix with enough ice water to hold together.
- Roll out half of dough and line an 8 or 9" pie pan. Roll another circle for top with other half.
- In large mixing bowl, stir together filling ingredients except apples and candies.
- Fold in apples well.
- Turn into pastry-lined pan and dot with butter.
- Sprinkle with 2 Tbl. cinnamon candies.
- Cover with top crust and seal edges.
- Cut slits in top, brush with milk.
- Sprinkle with a little sugar.
- Bake about 1 hour at 350 degrees.