Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a very good recipe for chocolate fudge icing. Makes enough for 2-layer cake, one 13-by-9-inch cake or 24 cupcakes.
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar (I use Splenda Blend)
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk (or use half-and-half )
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a heavy medium saucepan, combine the sugar, cocoa, and salt, and stir or whisk to mix everything well.
- Add the butter and place over medium heat, stirring to melt the butter and mix everything together into a smooth, brown sauce.
- Add the milk, stir well, and bring the frosting to a boil, stirring often and adjust the heat to maintain an active but gentle boil, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- When the frosting begins to thicken, remove it from the heat and stir in the vanilla and set it aside to cool for about 20 minutes.
- Beat the frosting just until it thickens and looks shiny, and then spread it over the cake or the layers you want to ice.