Burgundy Damsel's Note:
From Cooking Pleasures Oct/Nov 08
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 1/4 cups unsweetened cocoa
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups light brown sugar, packed
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 6 eggs
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/4 cups light brown sugar, packed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1Heat oven to 350°F; spray bottom of 3 (9 inch) round pans with cooking spray. Line bottoms with parchment paper; spray paper. Sprinkle bottoms and sides of pans with flour, tapping out excess.
- 2Whisk water and cocoa in medium bowl until smooth. Whisk in buttermilk and 1 tbsp vanilla. Whisk flour, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- 3Beat 3 cups brown sugar and 1 1/2 cups butter in large bowl at medium speed 4 to 5 minutes or until light and creamy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. At low speed, beat in flour mixture alternatively with chocolate mixture just until blended, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Divide batter between pans; smooth tops with spatula.
- 4Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and cakes just begin to pull away from the sides of pans, rotating pans during last 5 minutes of baking if necessary. Cool in pans on wire rack 15 minutes. Invert cakes onto wire rack, remove parchment. Cool completely.
- 5Beat cream cheese and 1 cup butter in large bowl at medium speed 3 to 4 minutes or until smooth and creamy. Beat in powdered sugar and 1 1/4 cups brown sugar until well blended. Beat in 1 1/2 tsp vanilla.
- 6Put 1 cake layer, top-side up, on platter; spread with about 1 cup of frosting. Top with second cake layer; spread with one cup of frosting. Top with remaining cake layer; frost top and sides of cake with thin layer of frosting.
- 7Refrigerate 15 minutes. Frost top and sides of cake with remaining frosting. Refrigerate until ready to serve. (Cake can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate).
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old Fashioned Chocolate Cake With Brown Sugar Frosting
Serving Size: 1 (204 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 651.9
- Calories from Fat 272
- Total Fat 30.2 g
- Saturated Fat 18.3 g
- Cholesterol 156.7 mg
- Sodium 452.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 91.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 68.3 g
- Protein 8.8 g