Recipe by The Spice Guru
My recipe for chicken soup.
Top Review by less2saw
I love this quick soup recipe. I always follow your recipes to the letter and so far have not been let down. I did chop things a little finer, but only because I prefer a less rustic soup. The recipe portions smaller nicely as well. Keep up the great work, Chef...will hope to chat again soon.
- 2 quarts organic chicken broth
- 2 -3 cups skinless boneless chunked rotisserie chicken
VEGETABLES AND HERBS
- 1 large chopped onion
- 2 cups sliced celery
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole baby carrots
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh parsley
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 large mashed garlic clove
- 1⁄4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 2 pinches ground nutmeg
- 2 pinches ground savory
- 5 black peppercorns (or 1/4 teaspoon ground)
- 1 bay leaf
- kosher salt, to taste
- 4 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
- 6 ounces egg noodles
Directions See How It's Made
- POUR 64 ounces Trader Joe's Organic Free-Range chicken broth into a 4-quart pot; heat to a low gentle boil.
- SNIP 1 tablespoon fresh parsley into broth.
- PULL fresh thyme leaves from stem using thumb and forefinger against the growth direction, to yield about 1 1/2 teaspoons; add to broth.
- ADD 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning to broth, along with two pinches (1/8 teaspoon) ground nutmeg, 2 pinches (1/8 teaspoon) ground savory, 1 bay leaf, and 5 whole black peppercorns (or 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper).
- CHOP 1 large onion into 1/2'' pieces and add to broth; MASH 1 large clove garlic with a garlic press; add to broth.
- MEASURE 1 1/2 cups whole baby carrots; add to broth.
- SLICE rinsed celery into 3/4'' diagonal-cut slices to make 2 cups; add to broth (if fresh mushrooms are desired they may be sliced and added to broth now).
- COVER and simmer broth, vegetables, herbs and seasonings until vegetables are tender yet firm (6 ounces egg noodles may be added now if desired).
- REMOVE skin from rotisserie chicken and meat from bones; coarsely chunk or dice chicken meat into bite-sized pieces to yield 2-3 cups; STIR in chunked chicken until heated; REMOVE bay leaf and peppercorns; SEASON to taste with kosher salt if desired.
- SERVE soup hot in bowls; SAVOR the old-fashioned goodness!