1/1 Photo of Old Fashioned Chicken Soup (Made Easy)
The Spice Guru's Note:
My recipe for chicken soup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 quarts organic chicken broth
- 2 -3 cups skinless boneless chunked rotisserie chicken
VEGETABLES AND HERBS
- 1 large chopped onion
- 2 cups sliced celery
- 1 1/2 cups whole baby carrots
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 large mashed garlic clove
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 2 pinches ground nutmeg
- 2 pinches ground savory
- 5 black peppercorns (or 1/4 teaspoon ground)
- 1 bay leaf
- kosher salt, to taste
- 4 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
- 6 ounces egg noodles
- 1POUR 64 ounces Trader Joe's Organic Free-Range chicken broth into a 4-quart pot; heat to a low gentle boil.
- 2SNIP 1 tablespoon fresh parsley into broth.
- 3PULL fresh thyme leaves from stem using thumb and forefinger against the growth direction, to yield about 1 1/2 teaspoons; add to broth.
- 4ADD 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning to broth, along with two pinches (1/8 teaspoon) ground nutmeg, 2 pinches (1/8 teaspoon) ground savory, 1 bay leaf, and 5 whole black peppercorns (or 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper).
- 5CHOP 1 large onion into 1/2'' pieces and add to broth; MASH 1 large clove garlic with a garlic press; add to broth.
- 6MEASURE 1 1/2 cups whole baby carrots; add to broth.
- 7SLICE rinsed celery into 3/4'' diagonal-cut slices to make 2 cups; add to broth (if fresh mushrooms are desired they may be sliced and added to broth now).
- 8COVER and simmer broth, vegetables, herbs and seasonings until vegetables are tender yet firm (6 ounces egg noodles may be added now if desired).
- 9REMOVE skin from rotisserie chicken and meat from bones; coarsely chunk or dice chicken meat into bite-sized pieces to yield 2-3 cups; STIR in chunked chicken until heated; REMOVE bay leaf and peppercorns; SEASON to taste with kosher salt if desired.
- 10SERVE soup hot in bowls; SAVOR the old-fashioned goodness!
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old Fashioned Chicken Soup (Made Easy)
Serving Size: 1 (349 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 145.9
- Calories from Fat 22
- Total Fat 2.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 17.9 mg
- Sodium 791.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 9.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: