1 hr 5 mins
The sweet potato gives a lovely orange color to the crust and an unusual flavor to pot pie. A little time-consuming to chop all the vegetables, so you could use already chopped frozen or canned vegetables for the most part (cooked according to package directions) to make it a little quicker and easier. Can be made ahead through step 14 and covered with tinfoil and frozen at that point. Thaw it in the refrigerator when you're ready to cook it, remove tinfoil and follow step 15 for cooking (may take an extra 5-10 minutes to cook through).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups cooked chicken or 3 cups cooked turkey, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 cup carrot, coarsely chopped (cooked)
- 1 cup butternut squash, peeled & cubed (cooked)
- 1/2 onion, peeled & chopped (cooked)
- 1/2 cup celery, coarsely chopped (cooked)
- 1 cup peas (cooked)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Place chicken, vegetables, and parsley in a 2 1/2 qt baking dish.
- 3In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- 4Saute garlic for 2 minutes.
- 5Stir in the 6 tablespoons of flour, and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute to make roux.
- 6Add half-and-half and chicken broth slowly, still stirring constantly.
- 7Season with salt, pepper, and thyme.
- 8Continue cooking and stirring until sauce boils and thickens.
- 9Pour sauce over chicken and vegetble mixture.
- 10Sift remaining cup of flour together with baking powder and salt into a bowl.
- 11With a fork, work in mashed sweet potatoes with vegetable oil and egg.
- 12Lightly flour a board and roll out dough with a rolling pin to about 1/4" thick.
- 13Cover casserole dish with dough and pinch edges all the way around.
- 14Make several small slits in the dough.
- 15Bake until crust is golden-brown (35-40 minutes).
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old-Fashioned Chicken Pot Pie With Sweet Potato Crust
Serving Size: 1 (391 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 594.0
- Calories from Fat 312
- Total Fat 34.6 g
- Saturated Fat 13.5 g
- Cholesterol 133.2 mg
- Sodium 799.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 6.6 g
- Protein 27.2 g