Recipe by littleturtle
The sweet potato gives a lovely orange color to the crust and an unusual flavor to pot pie. A little time-consuming to chop all the vegetables, so you could use already chopped frozen or canned vegetables for the most part (cooked according to package directions) to make it a little quicker and easier. Can be made ahead through step 14 and covered with tinfoil and frozen at that point. Thaw it in the refrigerator when you're ready to cook it, remove tinfoil and follow step 15 for cooking (may take an extra 5-10 minutes to cook through).
Top Review by pattikay in L.A.
This is a good pot pie recipe! The sweet potato crust is very good, though I had to use more than one cup of flour to make it rollable - maybe because my sweet potato wasn't cold...I added a few cooked new potatoes and a bit of sage to the mix. Thanks for posting!
- 3 cups cooked chicken or 3 cups cooked turkey, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, coarsely chopped (cooked)
- 1 cup butternut squash, peeled & cubed (cooked)
- 1⁄2 onion, peeled & chopped (cooked)
- 1⁄2 cup celery, coarsely chopped (cooked)
- 1 cup peas (cooked)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold mashed sweet potatoes
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg, well beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place chicken, vegetables, and parsley in a 2 1/2 qt baking dish.
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Saute garlic for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the 6 tablespoons of flour, and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute to make roux.
- Add half-and-half and chicken broth slowly, still stirring constantly.
- Season with salt, pepper, and thyme.
- Continue cooking and stirring until sauce boils and thickens.
- Pour sauce over chicken and vegetble mixture.
- Sift remaining cup of flour together with baking powder and salt into a bowl.
- With a fork, work in mashed sweet potatoes with vegetable oil and egg.
- Lightly flour a board and roll out dough with a rolling pin to about 1/4" thick.
- Cover casserole dish with dough and pinch edges all the way around.
- Make several small slits in the dough.
- Bake until crust is golden-brown (35-40 minutes).