1/2 Photos of Old Fashioned Chicken Pot Pie in a Pan
1 hr 45 mins
From start-to-finish, this is a "feel good" dinner--it screams "Home Cookin'" and "I love you!"...in sweet tones, of course! Use your bread machine for the dough (like I do) or make from scratch on your own (more brownie points!). Not a "fast" or "simple" recipe...but WELL-WORTH the effort (wait'll you hear the sighs of delight---you'll know what I mean). COOKING time does NOT include bread-machine cycle.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
The Top Crust
- 1 1/4 cups milk, hot to the touch
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon tarragon
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper (or more)
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 4 cups cooked chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth (from cooking chicken meat)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled, sliced
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
Optional Filling Ingredients
- canned mushroom (optional)
- fresh mushrooms (optional)
- thyme (optional)
- rosemary (optional)
- curry (optional)
- peas (optional)
- broccoli (optional)
- mixed vegetables (cooked) (optional)
- potato (optional)
- turnip (cooked) (optional)
- 3 tablespoons chicken fat
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups cream, half-n-half or 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1FOR THE CRUST.
- 2Place all ingredients in your bread-maker (according to manufacturer's directions, mine go in "liquid first"); program for "Dough" or "Manual" then press "Start.".
- 3The dough will be very sticky at first (like biscuit dough); it will firm up by the end of the kneading time.
- 4While the dough is kneading, prepare the filling.
- 5FOR THE FILLING.
- 6Cook chicken breasts in your normal way (I use water & cooking sherry), reserve broth and separate fat if you can (used in the Gravy).
- 7Melt butter in hot pan, saute onion & carrots until lightly browned, add celery, saute until limp-ish.
- 8Dump veggies and chicken into large bowl.
- 9FOR THE GRAVY.
- 10Melt butter and fat (USE ALL BUTTER IF YOU DIDN'T SEPARATE THE FAT FROM THE BROTH) in same pan (as veggies), whisk in the flour.
- 11S-L-O-W-L-Y add the reserved broth, continually whisking out the lumps.
- 12Whisk in the cream and S & P.
- 13Turn off the heat, stir in meat & veggies.
- 14FOR THE GLAZE:.
- 15In a small bowl, mix egg and water, beating to a frothy mess; set aside.
- 17Lightly spray or butter a 13x9 pan; pour chicken/gravy mixture into this dish.
- 18Transfer bread dough to a floured work surface; knead by hand five times (count 'em); now let it rest for five minutes (this works, trust me).
- 19Flour a rolling pin and roll dough into a 10 x 14-inch rectangle; do NOT over-work the dough, light touches are best!
- 20Use a pizza cutter or knife to cut rolled-out dough into two-inch squares or diamonds if you're really creative!
- 21Place squares/diamonds on top of the chicken-veg-gravy mixture in the pan--aim for a cobblestone look (overlap them a bit).
- 22Brush generously with egg glaze (this will give the dough a nice brown--slightly shiny--finish).
- 23Put into a COLD oven, turn heat to 350 (the dough will rise a bit while the oven heats); bake 35-45 minutes--the dough will be a lovely rich brown color.
- 24Let rest about 5 minutes before serving.
- 25With a green salad or a fruit salad on the side you have climbed to the top of the pedestal!
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old Fashioned Chicken Pot Pie in a Pan
Serving Size: 1 (333 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 713.0
- Calories from Fat 352
- Total Fat 39.1 g
- Saturated Fat 19.2 g
- Cholesterol 164.1 mg
- Sodium 877.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 32.9 g