Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
This recipe uses leftover chicken. It is good enough to serve as a special company dinner.
Make and share this Old Fashioned Chicken Pot Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- pastry dough
- 1 2⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, cubed
- 1⁄3 cup cold butter
- In a saucepan, melt butter.
- Stir in flour, garlic, salt and pepper until blended.
- Gradually stir in water, milk and bouillon.
- Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- Stir in chicken and vegetables; set aside.
- For the pastry, combine flour and celery seed in a bowl.
- Cut in cream cheese and butter until crumbly.
- Work mixture by hand until dough forms a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll two thirds of dough into 12 inch square.
- Transfer to an 8-inch square baking dish.
- Pour filling into crust.
- Roll remaining dough into a 9-inch square; place over filling.
- Trim, seal and flute edges.
- Cut slits in pastry.
- Bake at 425°F for 30 to 35 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly.
- Yield: 6 servings.
- Country Woman.
This is awesome and easy! The first time I did it like the recipe. I didnt care for the crust so the next time I used the pre made pie crust in the refrigerator section. The box comes with 2 rolled up pie crusts. It turned out fantastic! I also added more veggies and a little less chicken. This is a great recipe!
I have been making this for a long time now... it's absolutely one of my favorite recipes. I don't use the crust, I just make my own, but the filling is fantastic!!
WOW! Really easy to make and really good! For my own personal tastes, I would add a pinch of salt to the crust.