Recipe by Laneclara1111
What could be homier than this creamy pot pie with its old- fashioned quilted crust? A great way to use up leftover chicken!
Top Review by Baby Kato
This was really good. It had a unique flavour. We really enjoyed this homey comfort food. The biscuits were delicious and the chicken was tender while the sauce was creamy and flavorful. It was quick and very easy to put together. Thanks so much for sharing Laneclara1111.
- 3⁄4 cup tsps all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon double-acting baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup tbsps skim milk buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon skim milk buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon Butter Buds
- 1 teaspoon Butter Buds
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1⁄2 cup minced onion
- 1⁄2 cup minced celery
- 1 1⁄2 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated skim milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 12 ounces skinless cooked chicken, diced
- 1 cup frozen baby onion, thawed and drained
- 1⁄2 cup frozen green pea, thawed
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 pinch dried sage
Directions See How It's Made
- Adjust oven racks to divide oven into thirds. Preheat oven
- to 425oF. Spray large baking sheet and an 8" square
- baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- To prepare topping, in small bowl, combine 3/4 cup of the
- flour, the baking powder, salt and baking soda; stir in
- buttermilk and margarine quickly (mixture will be lumpy).
- Turn dough out onto prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle
- fingertips with the remaining 1 teaspoon flour; pat dough
- into a 7 1/2" square. With sharp knife, score dough into 8
- squares. Bake in upper third of oven, 10 minutes, until
- lightly browned but not fully baked through. Remove
- topping from oven; set aside. Leave oven on.
- To prepare filling, in medium saucepan, melt margarine; add
- carrots, minced onion and celery. Cook over medium heat,
- stirring frequently, 3 minutes, until lightly browned. Add
- 1/2 cup of the broth; bring liquid to a boil. Reduce heat to
- low; simmer until carrots are tender.
- In small bowl, with wire whisk, combine the remaining 1 cup
- broth, the milk and flour, blending until flour is dissolved;
- strain and add to carrot mixture. Stirring constantly,
- bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat
- to low. Simmer 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in
- chicken, baby onions, peas, lemon juice, mustard, salt,
- pepper, thyme, marjoram and sage.
- Transfer chicken mixture to prepared baking pan. Place
- topping over chicken mixture; bake in upper third of oven
- 15 minutes, until topping is golden brown and filling is