Recipe by Tobago Cay
This is my most requested recipe.I've been making it for the last 15 years. It's time consuming but well worth the effort. Enjoy!
Top Review by veronica daulton
this was very tasty, my family loved it. Smooth creamy sauce with the biscuits that melted in your mouth. It was a long process but well worth it. I didn't add the mushrooms in the stock pot I sauted them separate with a little olive oil and added later. Also I added a little more fluid than called for since I live in a dry climate, I didn't want it to be dry. Turned out great I will make this again.
- 1 (4 lb) broiler chickens
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 medium carrots, halved crosswise
- 2 medium onions, peeled
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 ounces small fresh mushrooms, halved crosswise
- 3 stalks celery
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour, plus
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup Crisco shortening, plus
- 2 teaspoons Crisco shortening
- 1⁄2 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Poach chicken, carrots, onions, celery and bay leaf in 5 quart dutch oven with water to cover all.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, add mushrooms to the pot.
- Simmer 10 more minutes or until chicken and veggies are cooked.
- Once cool enough to handle, remove skin from chicken and pull meat from bones.
- You should have about 4 cups.
- Coarsely chop veggies.
- To make filling: melt butter in dutch oven over low heat.
- Stir in 1/4 cup plus 2 tsp flour.
- Let mixture bubble about 3 minutes.
- Gradually stir in two cups chicken broth and the heavy cream.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Add seasoning, green peas, chicken and veggies.
- Bake at 400 degrees 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile to make biscuit dough, mix 1 1/2 cups flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a medium bowl.
- Cut in crisco with two forks until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in milk then beat with a wooden spoon until soft dough forms.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and pat dough to 1/2 inch thickness.
- Cut into biscuits and place on top of hot chicken pie.
- Continue to bake about 15 minutes or until done.