1 hr 25 mins
Tobago Cay's Note:
This is my most requested recipe.I've been making it for the last 15 years. It's time consuming but well worth the effort. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (4 lb) broiler chickens
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 medium carrots, halved crosswise
- 2 medium onions, peeled
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 ounces small fresh mushrooms, halved crosswise
- 3 stalks celery
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup flour, plus
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup Crisco shortening, plus
- 2 teaspoons Crisco shortening
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1Poach chicken, carrots, onions, celery and bay leaf in 5 quart dutch oven with water to cover all.
- 2Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, add mushrooms to the pot.
- 3Simmer 10 more minutes or until chicken and veggies are cooked.
- 4Once cool enough to handle, remove skin from chicken and pull meat from bones.
- 5You should have about 4 cups.
- 6Coarsely chop veggies.
- 7To make filling: melt butter in dutch oven over low heat.
- 8Stir in 1/4 cup plus 2 tsp flour.
- 9Let mixture bubble about 3 minutes.
- 10Gradually stir in two cups chicken broth and the heavy cream.
- 11Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thickened.
- 12Add seasoning, green peas, chicken and veggies.
- 13Bake at 400 degrees 20 minutes.
- 14Meanwhile to make biscuit dough, mix 1 1/2 cups flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a medium bowl.
- 15Cut in crisco with two forks until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- 16Stir in milk then beat with a wooden spoon until soft dough forms.
- 17Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and pat dough to 1/2 inch thickness.
- 18Cut into biscuits and place on top of hot chicken pie.
- 19Continue to bake about 15 minutes or until done.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old-fashioned Chicken Pot Pie
Serving Size: 1 (622 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1080.6
- Calories from Fat 635
- Total Fat 70.5 g
- Saturated Fat 24.4 g
- Cholesterol 272.2 mg
- Sodium 1197.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 6.3 g
- Protein 65.8 g