Recipe by Mom To Hayleigh
This pie can be made with either turkey or chicken. It combines a tangy crispy crust with tender meat and veggies and a flavorful sauce. This is my Mom's recipe, and she has been making it for 35 years.
- 2 1⁄2-3 lbs chicken, cooked and removed from bone or 3 -4 cups cooked chicken or 3 -4 cups cooked turkey, leftovers
- 2 cups chicken broth or 2 cups turkey broth
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of celery soup
- 1 1⁄2 cups of sliced frozen carrots
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen sweet peas
- 1⁄2 cup lightly-salted butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1 cup buttermilk (buttermilk recommended) or 1 cup whole milk (buttermilk recommended)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F.
- For the filling: Cook the chicken and remove the meat from bones, or measure out the precooked chicken or turkey.
- Place the meat, the carrots and the peas in a buttered 9-inch by 13-inch pan.
- Mix the broth with the soup and bring to a boil.
- Pour the hot liquid over the meat.
- For the crust: Mix all ingredients until smooth, pour over the chicken and spread until the crust is about 1 inch from the sides of the pan.
- Bake the pie in the oven for 35-45 minutes, until crust is nicely browned.