Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
In '300 Sensational Soups' by Carla Snyder & Meredith Deeds
- 1 (3 lb) whole chickens, rinsed (or 3 lb. skinless chicken thighs)
- 16 cups chicken stock
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 12 ounces wide egg noodles
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- fresh ground black pepper
- finely chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- In a large pot, bring chicken and stock to a boil over med-high heat.
- Partially cover, decrease heat to low and simmer gently until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of a breast registers 170°, about 45 minutes.
- Skim the soup if any scum develops on the surface.
- Using tongs, transfer chicken to a large plate and let cool slightly.
- Remove skin and bones and discard.
- Shred meat into bite-size pieces.
- Skim the fat from the surface of the stock with a large spoon and return to a simmer over medium heat.
- Add carrots, celery, onion, and thyme; simmer until vegetables are softened, about 15 minutes.
- Remove thyme sprigs.
- Return chicken to the pot and stir in noodles, parsley, and lemon juice; increase heat to med-high and bring to a boil.
- Boil until noodles are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle into heated bowls and garnish with parsley.