Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
America's Test Kitchen
Top Review by sow
This is the best chicken soup ever. I've been using this since I saw it on America's Test Kitchen. I'll sometimes add a teaspoon or two of low sodium chicken Better than Bouillon, just to pump up the chicken flavor. Be sure to use homemade or very low sodium chicken stock. I omit the red pepper flakes, since I sometimes feed toddlers ;). I also usually use a pre cooked chicken breast instead of adding a foil wrapped one to the crockpot. But I've done it both ways & it's great--
- 1 1⁄2 lbs bone-in skin-on chicken thighs, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped medium
- 2 celery ribs, chopped medium
- 1 onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme (or 1/2 t. dried)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (12 ounce) bone-in skin-on chicken breast half, trimmed
- 1 1⁄2 ounces wide egg noodles (about 1 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Dry chicken thighs with paper towels and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in 12-inch skillet over med-high heat until just smoking.
- Brown chicken thighs well on both sides, 6-8 minutes.
- Transfer to plate, let cool slightly, and discard skin.
- Pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat left in pan.
- Add in carrots, celery, and onions; cook over medium heat until vegetables are softened, 7-10 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, tomato paste, thyme, and red pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in 1 cup chicken broth, scraping up any browned bits; transfer to slow cooker.
- Stir remaining 7 cups broth and bay leaves into slow cooker.
- Nestle browned chicken with any accumulated juice into slow cooker.
- Season chicken breast with salt and pepper, wrap in foil packet, and lay on top of soup.
- Cover and cook until chicken is tender, 4-6 hours on LOW.
- Remove foil packet, open it carefully (watch for steam), and transfer chicken breast to cutting board.
- Transfer chicken thighs to cutting board.
- Let all chicken cool slightly, then shred into bite-size pieces, discarding skin and bones.
- Let soup settle for 5 minutes, then remove fat from surface using large spoon.
- Discard bay leaves.
- Cook egg noodles in boiling salted water until tender, then drain.
- Stir cooked noodles, shredded chicken, and peas into soup and let sit until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in parsley, season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve.