Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Very hearty and great for a cold evening.
- 4 -5 lbs stewing chicken, cut up
- 6 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried medium noodles
- 1 cup chopped carrot (2 medium)
- 1 cup chopped celery (2 stalks)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- In a large Dutch oven or kettle combine chicken, water, onion, salt, pepper, and bay leaf.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- Simmer, covered, about 2 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken from broth.
- When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones.
- Discard bones.
- Cut meat into bite-sized pieces; set aside. Discard bay leaf.
- Skim fat from broth.
- Bring broth to boiling.
- Stir in the noodles, carrots, and celery. Simmer, covered, about 8 minutes or until noodles ar tender but still firm.
- Stir in chicken and parsley; heat through.