1/1 Photo of Old-Fashioned Chicken Fried Steak With Pan Gravy
JoAnn Lynn's Note:
This was a staple at my house growing up in the late 60's. With my Dad hard at work, Mom always wanted a good hearty meal for him to come home to. This was, and still is, one of his all-time favorites.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb round steak
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- oil (for cooking)
For Gravy you will need
- 1Heat 1/4 inch oil in heavy skillet on med-high heat.
- 2Combine 1 cup milk with egg. Pour into a shallow pie pan.
- 3Season 1 cup flour with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Sift together in another pie pan.
- 4Tenderize the steak well and trim off excess fat.
- 5Dip the meat into egg mixture, then dredge in the flour mixture. Press flour into the meat. Repeat for a crispier coating.
- 6When oil is hot, fry meat for 9-12 minutes.
- 7This allows additional tenderizing of the meat. When fried meat is golden brown, drain on paper towels.
- 8FOR GRAVY:.
- 9Pour off all but 4 Tbsp of the cooking oil from skillet.
- 10Over medium heat, slowly stir in the flour, stirring constantly.
- 11Combine milk and water. Slowly add to skillet; stirring constantly. Loosen bits from bottom of pan while stirring. This is where the flavor is.
- 12Add salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil. When bubbling, lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- 13Serve this dish with Mashed Potatoes.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old-Fashioned Chicken Fried Steak With Pan Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (291 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 316.4
- Calories from Fat 74
- Total Fat 8.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 102.2 mg
- Sodium 399.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 0.3 g
- Protein 22.6 g