Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is the recipe I grew up with. No cans of condensed soup, mayonnaise or velveeta here! Also great with cauliflower, or a mixture of broccoli and cauliflower.
- 2 lbs broccoli florets, steamed
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 lbs chicken breasts, cooked and sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly butter a 9X13 glass dish or shallow casserole.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat and add flour. Stir for one minute.
- Add the broth and milk gradually until the sauce is thickened.
- Add half of the cheese and the worcestershire sauce. Stir until the cheese melts and remove from heat.
- Place the broccoli in the prepared pan or dish and sprinkle the remaining cheese over it.
- Place the chicken slices evenly over the cheese.
- Bake about 30 minutes, or until slightly bubbly and golden brown.