Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is how I remembered it growing up in PA Dutch country. There is nothing like a bowl of this soup when you're under the weather or just wanting some comfort food.
- 4 lbs chicken
- 4 quarts cold water
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 2 1⁄2 cups corn
- 2 hard-boiled eggs (diced or sliced)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Cover chicken with water in large kettle. Cook slowly until tender(about 60-90 minutes). Add salt when water starts to boil.
- When chicken is done, remove to cutting board until cool enough to debone.
- While chicken is cooling, strain broth through a fine sieve.
- Debone chicken and cut meat into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
- Add corn (frozen works fine)to broth and bring to a boil.
- Add celery and seasonings.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken and eggs.
- Cover and cook gently for 5 minutes.
- NOTE: If you like noodles in your soup (I do)add them with the celery and seasonings.
- SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve with Club Crackers and cubed Meunster Cheese (my favorite).
- NOTE: This freezes well if you have not added noodles.
Yum! this is an easy and tasty dish that doesn't take very long to make. I made only one change, becuase I was in a hurry...instead of hard boiling the eggs, I whisked them and dropped the egg mixture into the soup in the last minutes of cooking and let it rise to the top and cook in the hot soup. The flavour was great and it was an easy meal like lunch that filled the gap very well since we were due for a later than usual evening dinner. When you are watching your diet and trying not to snack inbetween meals that's important. Please see my rating system: 4 wonderful stars for a recipe I will be making again. Thanks!