Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
From the homemade gravy to the pinch of nutmeg, this is great comfort food for any occasion.
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- salt and pepper
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 (4 lb) chicken, cut up or 1 (4 lb) chicken breasts
- 6 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 sprig thyme
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups milk
- freshly grated nutmeg
- parsley, to garnish
- Mix flour, salt and pepper in a bag, add the chicken and shake to coat well.
- Brown a few pieces at a time in the butter in a skillet.
- Remove to a 3 QT baking dish, reserving the drippings.
- Add the carrots, potatoes and onions to the baking dish.
- Pour the chicken broth over and add the thyme.
- Bake, covered at 350*F for 45 minutes.
- Stir 6 TBs flour into the reserved drippings, adding additional butter if necessary.
- Cook for 6 to 8 minutes or until medium brown, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the milk.
- Cook until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Pour the gravy over the chicken and vegetables and bake uncovered for 25 to 30 minutes longer.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.
We just loved this casserole! Simple to prepare this comfort food really tickled our fancy!
Very good all-in-one meal. We enjoyed this recipe. I loved the fact that it was easy and a one-dish meal. Thanks!