Recipe by zippiestfriend
This recipe came from the Ontario Milk Calendar May of 1995. It is absolutely yummy, creamy, and soft and very filling.
Top Review by blackhorse13
I have been craving chicken and rice soup for weeks, and this sure hit the spot!!!! I added 3 cloves of garlic, left out the celery and doubled the carrots (didn't have any celery). I also cooked the rice right in the veggie/chicken/broth mix, and added the milk at the end. So good!!!!!!! I like my soup thick, more like stew, so I added about a cup and a half of uncooked rice, and ended up using four cups of chicken broth and 3 cups of milk, so with the amount of liquid in the recipe, 1/2 a cup of uncooked rice should do you. :)
- 1⁄4 cup butter, 50 ml
- 1 onion, chopped 1
- 1 carrot, diced 1
- 1 celery rib, diced 1
- 1⁄2 lb raw chicken, diced 250 g
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour, 75 ml
- 3 cups chicken stock, 750 ml
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, 2 ml
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper, 1 ml
- 2 cups milk, 500 ml
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked rice, 375 ml
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan melt butter. Add onion, carrot and celery. Cook gently 5 min until vegetables are fragrant and tender.
- Add chicken. Cook 2 to 3 min until chicken loses its raw appearance.
- Sprinkle with flour. Cook 3 to 4 min, browning lightly.
- Add chicken stock and bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper. Cook 15 minute.
- Add milk and bring to a boil. Add rice and cook 5 to 10 minute (If soup is thicker than you wish, add a bit more milk, if it is thinner than you like cook uncovered for 5 to 10 min to reduce it.) Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- For Cream of Chicken Noodle Soup, add 1 ½ cups (375 ml) cooked noodles instead of the rice.
- If you have left over cooked chicken or turkey, add it with the cooked rice in step #5 and omit step #2.