This recipe came from the Ontario Milk Calendar May of 1995. It is absolutely yummy, creamy, and soft and very filling.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large saucepan melt butter. Add onion, carrot and celery. Cook gently 5 min until vegetables are fragrant and tender.
- 2Add chicken. Cook 2 to 3 min until chicken loses its raw appearance.
- 3Sprinkle with flour. Cook 3 to 4 min, browning lightly.
- 4Add chicken stock and bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper. Cook 15 minute.
- 5Add milk and bring to a boil. Add rice and cook 5 to 10 minute (If soup is thicker than you wish, add a bit more milk, if it is thinner than you like cook uncovered for 5 to 10 min to reduce it.) Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- 7For Cream of Chicken Noodle Soup, add 1 ½ cups (375 ml) cooked noodles instead of the rice.
- 8If you have left over cooked chicken or turkey, add it with the cooked rice in step #5 and omit step #2.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old-Fashioned Chicken and Rice Soup
Serving Size: 1 (255 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 496.5
- Calories from Fat 210
- Total Fat 23.3 g
- Saturated Fat 10.3 g
- Cholesterol 65.2 mg
- Sodium 509.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 15.3 g