7 hrs 35 mins
6 hrs 35 mins
America's Test Kitchen
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 onions, minced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme (or 1/2 t. dried)
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 4 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth, plus extra as needed
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1Stew: dry chicken with paper towels and season with salt and pepper.
- 2Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over med-high heat until just smoking.
- 3Brown half of chicken lightly on both sides, 5-8 minutes; transfer to bowl.
- 4Repeat with 1 tablespoon more oil and remaining chicken; transfer to bowl.
- 5Heat remaining tablespoon oil over med-high heat until shimmering.
- 6Add onions, celery, garlic, tomato paste, and thyme; cook until vegetables are softened and lightly browned, 8-10 minutes.
- 7Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute.
- 8Slowly whisk in sherry, scraping up any browned bits.
- 9Whisk in 1 cup broth, smoothing out any lumps; transfer to slow cooker.
- 10Stir remaining 3 1/2 cups broth, carrots, and bay leaves into slow cooker.
- 11Nestle browned chicken with any accumulated juice into slow cooker.
- 12Cover and cook until chicken is tender, 4-6 hours on low.
- 13Transfer chicken to a cutting board; let cool slightly, then shred into bite-size pieces.
- 14Let stew settle for 5 minutes, then remove fat from surface using a large spoon; discard bay leaves.
- 15Stir shredded chicken, peas, and parsley into stew, and season with salt and pepper to taste (adjust stew consistency with additional hot broth as needed).
- 16Cover and cook on high until simmering.
- 17Dumplings: whisk flour, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl.
- 18Microwave milk and butter together until warm (do not overheat), about 1 minute, then whisk to melt butter.
- 19Stir milk mixture into flour mixture until just incorporated and smooth.
- 20Drop golf ball-size dumplings on top of simmering stew, leaving about 1/4-inch between each dumpling (should have about 18 dumplings).
- 21Cover and cook until dumplings have doubled in size, 25-35 minutes; serve.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old-Fashioned Chicken and Dumplings
Serving Size: 1 (483 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 510.0
- Calories from Fat 166
- Total Fat 18.4 g
- Saturated Fat 6.0 g
- Cholesterol 156.1 mg
- Sodium 694.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 42.8 g