Prep 1 hr
Cook 6 hrs 35 mins
America's Test Kitchen
Make and share this Old-Fashioned Chicken and Dumplings recipe from Food.com.
- 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 onions, minced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme (or 1/2 t. dried)
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- 4 1⁄2 cups low sodium chicken broth, plus extra as needed
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Stew: dry chicken with paper towels and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over med-high heat until just smoking.
- Brown half of chicken lightly on both sides, 5-8 minutes; transfer to bowl.
- Repeat with 1 tablespoon more oil and remaining chicken; transfer to bowl.
- Heat remaining tablespoon oil over med-high heat until shimmering.
- Add onions, celery, garlic, tomato paste, and thyme; cook until vegetables are softened and lightly browned, 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly whisk in sherry, scraping up any browned bits.
- Whisk in 1 cup broth, smoothing out any lumps; transfer to slow cooker.
- Stir remaining 3 1/2 cups broth, carrots, and bay leaves into slow cooker.
- Nestle browned chicken with any accumulated juice into slow cooker.
- Cover and cook until chicken is tender, 4-6 hours on low.
- Transfer chicken to a cutting board; let cool slightly, then shred into bite-size pieces.
- Let stew settle for 5 minutes, then remove fat from surface using a large spoon; discard bay leaves.
- Stir shredded chicken, peas, and parsley into stew, and season with salt and pepper to taste (adjust stew consistency with additional hot broth as needed).
- Cover and cook on high until simmering.
- Dumplings: whisk flour, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl.
- Microwave milk and butter together until warm (do not overheat), about 1 minute, then whisk to melt butter.
- Stir milk mixture into flour mixture until just incorporated and smooth.
- Drop golf ball-size dumplings on top of simmering stew, leaving about 1/4-inch between each dumpling (should have about 18 dumplings).
- Cover and cook until dumplings have doubled in size, 25-35 minutes; serve.