1/3 Photos of Old Fashioned Caramel Cake
1 hr 15 mins
This cake is wonderful with a cup of coffee! Or a big glass of milk. I remember my Mom eating this cake for breakfast when I was little....she still eats cake for breakfast, but at least this one sounds a little like a caramel sweet roll! Maybe we should all follow her example....she's 82 and still running around like crazy! Special tip for preparation: Be sure to spread the caramel frosting immediately after it reaches spreading consistency because it will harden quickly and be difficult to spread.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Beat 1 cup butter at medium speed of an electric mixer until it is creamy; gradually add 2 cups sugar, beating well. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
- 2In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and coca; Stir well. Then add to the butter mixture, alternating with the buttermilk and water, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Mix after each addition. Stir in 1 tsp vanilla.
- 3Pour the batter into 2 greased and floured 9-inch round cakepans. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool pans on wire racks for 10 minutes; then remove from pans and let cool completely on wire racks.
- 4For the frosting, combine 2 cups sugar, 1 cup butter, and 1 cup evaporated milk in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cover and cook for 2 to 3 minutes to wash down the sugar crystals from the sides of the pan.
- 5Uncover and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture reaches soft ball stage or a candy thermometer registers 234 degrees. Remove from heat and add vanilla (do not stir). Let cool for 10 minutes.
- 6Beat at medium speed of an electric mixer for 8 to 10 minutes or until the mixture is spreading consistency. Quickly spread the Caramel Frosting between the layers and on the top and sides of the cake.
- 7Garnish with pecan halves and grated chocolate if desired.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old Fashioned Caramel Cake
Serving Size: 1 (2422 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 8450.5
- Calories from Fat 3680
- Total Fat 408.8 g
- Saturated Fat 251.3 g
- Cholesterol 1616.9 mg
- Sodium 5257.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1134.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.1 g
- Sugars 813.0 g
- Protein 89.7 g