Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is how my mom always made them! Enjoy!
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup dark corn syrup
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 8 medium jonathan apples
- 8 bamboo skewers
- Combine sugars, syrup and milk in heavy saucepan.
- Cook to 230º-234º, stirring constantly, over medium heat.
- Remove from heat and add butter and vanilla.
- Dip skewered apples, one at a time, twirling to coat smoothly.
- Immerse immediately into a bowl of ice water, lift out, let water drain off, place on waxed paper to set.
- Reheat caramel over hot water if needed while dipping.
These were good. I especially liked the way dipping them in the ice water "set" the caramel and they didn't leave more on the paper than the apple. Didn't have exactly the flavor I was looking for, but if you aren't picky they are great. Tip: make sure your candy thermometer is calibrated to where you live. This scorches easily.
Thank you - thank you - thank you I have been searching for this recipe for years. my neighbor as a child made these for our brownie meetings.