Recipe by Luby Luby Luby
Sometimes the old recipes are the best. This recipe certainly falls in that category.
Top Review by Erin Kelly_413037691
I was looking around for a yam recipe that would be similar to the way I remember my Dad's version. This looked pretty close and it was good. My only recommendation would be to thicken the syrup. I think my Dad used to add cornstarch. I'm going to give that try next time I make these.
- 8 medium sweet potatoes, baked,peeled and sliced in half lengthwise
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 1⁄3 cups packed dark brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all ingredients except sweet potatoes in 2 quart saucepan.
- Bring to a boil stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat and simmer about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place sliced sweet potatoes in an ungreased 9x13 dish in a single layer cut side up.
- Pour syrup over potatoes coating all pieces.
- Bake at 400 degrees until bubbly about 45 minutes basting every 15 minutes.