1/7 Photos of Old-Fashioned Cake Doughnuts (Donuts)
Vseward (Chef~V)'s Note:
There's nothing better than homemade doughnuts! I like cake donuts better than yeast donuts. This is how I make my favorite doughnuts for my family on the weekends. Real simple ingredients you already have on hand. The hardest part is letting the dough chill for an hour before frying them. You can make the dough the night before and have them ready to go in the morning, that's what I do ;) either douse them in cinnamon sugar or icing sugar or .....(you get the idea) I use a dough hook on my Stand Mixer which makes this real easy to whip up. NOTE: Prep time does not include chill time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large bowl mix the sugar, baking powder, salt and nutmeg.
- 2Add eggs, milk and melted butter. Beat well.
- 3Add 3 cups of the flour, beating until blended. Add one more cup of flour and beat well. The dough should be soft and sticky but firm enough to handle. If you feel its necessary, add up to 1/2 cup more flour.
- 4Cover with plastic wrap and chill for *at* *least* one hour.
- 5Remove your dough from the fridge and begin heating about 1" of oil to 360F in a large metal skillet.
- 6Working half the dough at a time, roll it out on a floured surface to about 1/2" thickness. Cut out circles using a doughnut cutter or large biscuit or cookie cutter. For the center, I actually use the cap off my martini shaker ;) to cut the holes.
- 7Gently drop the doughnuts in batches into the hot oil. Flip them over as they puff and turn them a couple more times as they cook. They will take about 2-3 minutes in total and will be lovely and golden brown all over.
- 8Remove from the oil and set them on paper towels or brown paper bag (that removes all the fat, you know).
- 9douse them with sugar and cinnamon, icing, chocolate dipped with sprinkles or whatever you like.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old-Fashioned Cake Doughnuts (Donuts)
Serving Size: 1 (1129 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 236.8
- Calories from Fat 44
- Total Fat 4.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.7 g
- Cholesterol 37.7 mg
- Sodium 372.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 14.4 g
- Protein 5.2 g