Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
We love this soup. Its taste is delicious. Enjoy it.
Make and share this Old Fashioned Cabbage Soup recipe from Food.com.
- Put cabbage in soup pot or a Dutch oven. Add potato cubes.
- Fill pot 1/2 way up the cabbage with chicken broth (or water) and cook until tender.
- Meanwhile, cook sausage in a fry pan. Drain. Cut sausage in pieces and add to soup.
- In same fry pan with the sausage drippings, add flour stirring constantly until brownish color.
- Add chicken broth (or water) gradually to make a thick "gravy". Add chopped onion and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Combine in soup. Season with salt, pepper and sugar. Let it simmer for a few more minutes stirring constantly.
- Taste seasonings and serve warm with fresh bread slices.
The Polish sausage is what adds the flavor to this soup. I used 1# of sausage for my "Where's the meat" husband. The sausage was very lean so I needed to use olive oil to get the required amount of 'drippings'. I also sliced the sausage then browned it in the pan. Next time I'll quarter each slice before browning, so it will fit on the spoon better. After step 2 it took only 15 more minutes to get this on the stove. Thanks for posting. Made for Healthy Choices ABC Tag Game 2010