Recipe by LoversDream
I have tried several "Old Fashioned" butterscotch pudding recipes..and this is the best I have found...and also, by FAR, the simplest.
Top Review by Dorie's Lori
Mmmmmm! I'd like to give the flavor 10 stars. It was butterscotchy, but I could also taste a caramel taste. I just loved it! I didn't give it 5 stars because the texture of mine was not smooth - I think they call it "grainy" in a pudding. It turned that way before I added the egg. I am wondering if it is because I used skim evaporated milk, or maybe I cooked it too long? Well, no matter to me - I will definately be making this again! Yum Yum!!
- 2⁄3 cup dark brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- lightly sweetened whipped cream, for acompaniment (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine sugar and cornstarch in medium saucepan.
- Stir in evaporated milk and water.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes just to a boil.
- Remove from heat.
- Place egg in small bowl; stir in small amount of milk mixture.
- Add to milk mixture; cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute (be careful, mixture will bubble and might spatter on your hand so use caution).
- Remove from heat. Stir in butter and vanilla extract.
- Pour into dessert dishes.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm.
- Top with whipped cream.