Recipe by Burgundy Damsel
From Cooking Pleasures Magazine. Haven't tried these yet; storing for safe keeping.
Top Review by Dine & Dish
These were delicious! I put everything in my bread maker and let it do all the work. I took them out, divided the dough into two balls and rolled each ball into a round circle. I used my pizza cutter to cut into triangles and then rolled each piece up into crescent shapes. I brushed with butter and put in the oven. My first batch was too brown at 17 minutes. The next batch I took down to 15 minutes and they were perfect. Thanks for sharing this recipe. I hope you get to try it soon! It is yummy! Oh - one more thing... I used my buttermilk substitute instead of buttermilk (for one cup milk, add 1 tbs Lemon juice... let sit for 10 minutes then use in place of buttermilk in recipes.)
- 3⁄4 cup warm water, divided
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk, warm
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3 1⁄2 cups bread flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Place 1/4 cup of the warm water in a small bowl; stir in yeast. Let stand 10 min or until yeast is dissolved and foamy.
- Meanwhile, whisk remaining 1/2 cup water, buttermilk, egg, butter, sugar and salt in large bowl. Whisk in yeast mixture to combine.
- Slowly stir in 3 1/2 cups of flour, using hands if necessary, until soft dough forms. Slowly add up to 1/4 cup additional flour if needed to form soft dough that pulls away from sides of bowl.
- On lightly floured surface, knead dough 7 to 10 min or until smooth and elastic. Place dough in lightly buttered large bowl; turn to coat all sides with butter.
- Cover with plastic wrap and towel; let rise in warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Gently punch down dough; turn out onto lightly floured surface. Divide dough in half; cut each half into 8 pieces.
- Roll each piece into desired shape; place on baking sheet. Spray plastic wrap with cooking spray, cover rolls. Let rise in warm place 30 to 40 min or until double in size. (To make ahead, shape rolls, place on baking sheet and cover with greased plastic wrap. Refridgerate 4 hours or overnight. When ready to bake, let stand at room temperature 30 min before baking.).
- Heat oven to 375*. Bake 17 to 20 min or until light golden brown.