Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
the amount of buttermilk that is added depends on the brand of flour used and the weather (high humidity requires less). in short, always start with the minimum about, then add more as needed.
- preheat oven to 425 degrees and lightly grease a baking sheet; set aside.
- sift together the flour, baking powder, soda, and salt in a large bowl. cut the butter into the mix using a pastry blender or 2 knives until the mix resembles coarse meal.
- add 1 1/4 cups of buttermilk and mix lightly just until the dough begins to stick together (do not overmix). add up to 4 tbsp more buttermilk, 1 tbsp at a time, if the dough is dry.
- turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and press together lightly just until the dough forms a ball (do not overwork).
- roll or pat the dough out to 3/4-inch thickness and cut with floured biscuit cutter or upside down glass.
- place biscuits onto baking sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes, until golden brown. serve immediately!